Chevin Road Baptist Chapel

Chevin Road Baptist Chapel on Chevin Road extends a warm welcome to all.

The Chapel now has its own website.  Click here to view.

Each Sunday there is a service at 10.30 am. The first Sunday of each month is a family service.




History of the Baptist Chapel

Situated on Chevin Road, Milford Baptist Chapel was completed in 1849 on land purchased from Jedidiah Strutt  at a total cost, with the building, of thirteen pounds and four shillings.

Baptist worship in Derbyshire owes much to the efforts of the Puritans in the 17th Century, to George Whitefield in the 18th Century and also to Dan Taylor. Dan was born in Yorkshire in 1738 and developed a successful itinerant evangelistic ministry. Milford Baptist Church was founded as a result of his ministry.

Mr Strutt was keen that all his mill workers attended some form of worship each week, and built a Chapel within the Milford Mill complex, in addition to assisting with the founding of two Methodist Chapels and the Baptist Chapel. The Anglican Church of the Holy Trinity was built and opened for worship in 1847.

In the heady days of the late 1800’s the Mill Manager had a register kept of all his workers and regularly monitored their attendance at the three services held each Sunday. Those who ‘missed’ were followed up by him. From the beginning, a Sunday School has been held, and many will recall the Sunday School Anniversary ‘walks’ around the village and Sunday School outings.

In 1994, in line with falling church congregations, the church membership was only six.  Also, the premises were in a poor state of repair with very little change since 1849. The members decided to set about modernising the building using the new millennium as their target. What there is today is a warm, welcoming, user-friendly interior complete with a disabled lift up from Chevin Road, and a purpose built disabled friendly internal toilet block.

Regular Sunday attendance is now around 30, with a Junior Church meeting the needs of the younger generation. There is also a mid-week fellowship evening and a very active retirement group that meets alternative Wednesdays.

To contact them please click here